What you do is not who you are. But left unchecked and unconsidered, our roles become part of our identity. In this way, the roles we play create pathways for what we see as possible – or not possible. In this episode, Sharon talks about the impact that roles and identity have on professionals and human beings considering making a change. She also discusses her challenges of answering the question, “Are you an artist?” Finally, she shares a set of reflection questions and invites you to consider the roles you play and how that’s working.
- What are the roles I play? (e.g. In my family? In my professional life? In my community?)
- What’s my assessment of how this mix of roles is working for me?
- What moves might serve me to more fully express myself in how and where I show up? (Anything I want to release? Anything I want to step into? Anything I want to amplify?)
- What identify undercurrents do I notice showing up regardless of role?
Links and Resources
- Sharon’s sister Julia Lipovsky is an artist and the current Artist in Residence at the Cincinnati Art Museum. Check out her interactive art installation inspired by Saul Steinberg’s Mural of Cincinnati now through October 29, 2023.
- Take A Moment started as a year-long collaboration. It continues as a pop-up practice which produces magical poster creations like these.